Sunday, September 9, 2012

Borzoi Breath

I love my 'Zoi.

But...

There is one BIG but...

His mouth is in bad shape.

And it stinks.

This is not his fault. Look at these teeth:



He has clearly never, ever, had any sort of dental hygiene.

I have always cast a skeptical eye on dog dentistry.

I mean, dogs only live 10-12 years, shouldn't their teeth be able to last that long?

When I was growing up, our dogs lived to old age with no tooth brushing or tooth cleaning at all.

Of course they had bad breath. So do old people. It's part of getting old.

But this breath is in another realm entirely. It smells just like the fly trap outside:



Would you want something that smells like that up close to your face?

I don't.

Arthur loves to give kisses. He loves to poke that long, pointy nose right in your face.

I'm scared to take him to the vet. I believe there will be expensive complications. Extractions for sure.

But I can't let this go.

It's probably hurting him, and it's definitely hurting me. This is where he likes to sleep:



Also here:



Both of them, places where I also like to sleep.

I have started smelling something funny on the sheets and blankets.

I finally realized what it was.

Arthur drools while he sleeps.

And drool oozes out his mouth, past those diseased teeth, onto the same surfaces where I lay my head.

I can't take it anymore.

Yes, I am going to be poor with the new job (if I get it).

No, I can't really afford this.

But it just can't go on like this.

A dog this beautiful should be beautiful inside and out.

He should not smell like something crawled into his mouth and died there.

I'll keep you posted on how big the vet bill is.

No comments:

Post a Comment